Friday, January 6, 2012

Waffles for Dessert for Breakfast

I made a breakfast date with a dear friend of mine. I thought this would be a good opportunity to try out a recipe for Belgian waffles coated in chocolate and topped with whipped cream. I was right.
What did you have for breakfast?

You could start this out one of three ways. You could 1) make these bad boys from scratch. Check out allrecipes.com for a phenomenal recipe. You could 2) make them from a box of Krusteaz. Thirdly, you could buy frozen waffles and warm them up in your toaster. Not a bad option if you ask me.

I opted for making them from a box. At first I was going to make them completely from scratch but then I fast forwarded to all the baking I have to do this afternoon for a bake sale this weekend and the Krusteaz was on sale for only $2.50. My decision was made and it was the right one.

To make 2-3 7 inch waffles you need
  • 1 egg
  • 3 tablespoons of oil
  • 3/4 cup water
  • and of course the Krusteaz mix
The directions on the box say to whisk everything up until it's smooth. So, I did all of that and then poured the mix in the waffle iron. Each waffle cooked for about 3 minutes on medium high.

Now the fun part, chocolate and whipped cream. To make the ganache you will need
  • 2/3 cup chocolate chips, whatever kind you have in your cupboard
  • 1/3 cup heavy whipping cream
Heat the cream in the microwave until you see bubbling. You cannot walk away. Then pour the cream over the chocolate chips and stir. What you have made is ganache, something very fancy sounding and immensely delicious but easy. Nice, right?

Lastly you are going to top your waffles with a dollop of whipped cream. I used Cool Whip. It's what I had in my refrigerator so why not.

Enjoy!!!! 

No comments:

Post a Comment