Thursday, January 12, 2012

Tuna, Spinach, and Apple Salad

I eat a lot of spinach and sometimes I eat spinach salads a few days in row. I would probably eat them everyday considering how nutrient dense spinach is but after so many days of eating it, it makes my teeth feel really weird. It's difficult to explain but I know I'm not the only one who feels this way. My dear friend Drea and soon to be the most sought after family photographer in San Diego, complains of the same feelings. I looked it up and it's because of something called oxalic acid. Blah blah blah.... I want to know if I can disguise this feeling without cooking my spinach.

I set out to make a salad today, nothing special just whatever is in my fridge. I happened to have spinach, apples, tuna, and romaine. Normally I would just mix tuna and mayo and put that on top of the spinach with chopped apples. Today, I tried something a little different.


Ingredients
  • 5 cups of raw spinach
  • 1/4 cup of mayonnaise
  • 7 ounces of tuna
  • 1 large apple
  • 1 head of romaine lettuce
Directions
  • Chop the spinach until it's very fine. It should measure 1 1/2 cups after it's chopped.
  • Combine mayo and tuna. Use more or less mayo depending on your preference.
  • Combine the tuna and mayo mixture and the chopped spinach until it's well blended.


 You can serve this two different ways. 

Directions for Tuna Salad Rolls
  • Lay out one leaf of romaine with some of the spine trimmed.
  • Slice the apple and lay two slices of apple on the whole leaf.
  • Add two tablespoons of the tuna and spinach mix to the apple.
  • Roll and secure it with a toothpick.



Directions for Tuna Salad on Romaine
  • Chop up one head of romaine lettuce.
  • Dice one apple.
  • Add the tuna and spinach mixture to the romaine and top with apples.
  • Toss with more mayonnaise or whatever dressing you like. 



    This recipe should feed two hungry people or three modestly hungry girls. LOL!  You know what I mean.  I could still feel the grittiness from the spinach but not as much. I think I disguised it somewhat. Also, I packed a ton of spinach into a salad. Yeah, nutritious lunch.

    1 comment: