Tuesday, January 24, 2012

Mexican Hot Chocolate Cupcakes


Mexican hot chocolate traditionally is a cinnamon, vanilla, sugar, and semi sweet chocolate drink. I thought that I could transform the drink into a spicy cupcake.

I started with a chocolate cake mix, added the normal eggs, oil, and water. Then I added sour cream because I knew it would not only make it tender but it would also make it stronger. The cake tends to crumble less when I add sour cream. To make it Mexican, I added cinnamon. I also wanted it to be spicy so I carefully measured out a teaspoon of cayenne pepper. I added ginger because I love how ginger can add a warmth to the overall flavor.

They turned out nicely. The cupcakes were tender and moist and delicioso. You can add or subtract the spices depending on your tolerance for heat. Next time, I just might add a little more cayenne. Enjoy!

Ingredients for the Cake
  • 1 Box of Chocolate Cake Mix
  • 3 eggs
  • 1 1/4 cup water
  • 1/2 cup oil
  • 3/4 cup sour cream
  • 1/2 teaspoon dried ginger
  • 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
  • 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
Directions for the Cake
  • Combine eggs, water, oil, and sour cream well.
  • Add cake mix, ginger, cayenne pepper, and cinnamon.
  • Mix until smooth.
  • Line cupcake pans with cupcake liners.
  • Divide the batter evenly between the molds. I use a ice cream scooper to take out the guess work.
  • Bake for 15-18 minutes on 325.
  • To make sure your cakes are baked through, insert a toothpick or knife into a cake. If it comes out clean then it's done.


Ingredients for the Buttercream
  • 1 cup butter
  • 3/4 cup shortening 
  • 3 1/4 cups powdered sugar
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
  • 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
Directions for the Buttercream
  • In a stand mixer or using a hand mixer, combine butter and shortening and mix on medium until smooth.
  • Add the powdered sugar 1 cup at a time on low speed.
  • Once the sugar and butter are combined, add salt, vanilla, and cinnamon.
  • Beat the buttercream on medium for 7 minutes. It will be much fluffier after 7 minutes.
  • After the cupcakes have cooled thoroughly, frost however you'd like. I like piping the buttercream onto the cupcakes. It's so pretty.

1 comment:

  1. Yummy Maria! I love spice! I want to try this for sure!

    ReplyDelete