Thursday, January 19, 2012

Lunch at Burlap






Hello San Diego Restaurant Week! This is the time to try new places and get a sweet deal at the same time. Can't pass this opportunity up. The last SDRW was extended for a second week. I'm hoping the powers that be make that happen again.

This light installation was my favorite.
My husband and I visited Burlap, Brian Malarkey's "Asian Cowboy" restaurant, located in Del Mar. Not only was the theme present in the food but it was repeated in the design of the space. There were a myriad of dragons and there was burlap lining the walls. I thought the service was outstanding. Our server was polite and professional. Loved that. I also appreciated that he was wearing a holster, how very cowboy.


From the SDRW menu, I ordered the Field Green salad, the Drunken Ducken bahn witch mi, and carrot cake. The salad was great, a combination of persimmons, goat cheese, nuts, and a sweet vinaigrette. Good, right? The bahn witch mi (sandwich) was delicious. Instead of an ordinary chicken salad sandwich, they served a duck salad. It was mixed with port cherries (drunken), macadamia nuts, and brown butter aioli, no plain mayo here. It was sweet and savory and crunchy and velvety. So many textures in just one sandwich. The carrot cake was tasty as well, no surprise. It was very light and flavorful. The pieces of sweet pineapple and crispy cashew brittle provided a nice variety of textures and flavors and was a welcomed departure from the norm.

I can't wait to come back. I think next time I'm going to try the Phramen Bowl. Check it out for yourself.


1 comment: