What happened? While I was putting away my groceries, I saw leftover chocolate cake batter and chocolate bourbon balls staring at me. I knew what I had to do, bourbon chocolate cupcakes. And boy am I glad I did. The cupcakes baked up very moist and the candy disappeared into the cake leaving only the delicious bourbon flavor and added chocolate.
Yield Makes 24
- Your favorite chocolate boxed cake mix (or you can make yours from scratch, whatever makes you happiest.)
- 3 eggs
- 1 1/4 cup cold coffee
- 1/2 cup veggie oil
- 2/3 cup of sour cream
- 12 bourbon ball chocolate candies cut into halves and pecan removed. Buy them or make them.
- 1 cup dark chocolate chips
- 1/3 cup of warm milk (put in the microwave for 20 seconds.)
- 1//4 cup chopped peanuts
|My sweet mother in law brought these back from the Kentucky Derby.|
|Remove the pecan and cut in half.|
- Mix together eggs, coffee, oil, and sour cream.
- Add in the chocolate cake mix and stir until thoroughly blended. Or if you're using an electric mixer, mix on medium for two minutes. That should be fine.
- Line cupcake pans with those little papers.
- Divide batter evenly into cupcake pans.
- Push one half of a bourbon ball into each cupcake. It'll stick out but that's ok. It's going to bake down.
- Bake at 325 for 24 minutes but check them at 20. They will look a little wet. They should be firm though.
- Let cakes cool for 20 minutes.
- Add the warm milk to the chocolate chips and stir. If the ganache needs warming, put it in the microwave for 10 seconds at a time till it's smooth.
- Frost the cooled cupcakes with the ganache.
- Sprinkle with peanuts.
|I brought my cupcake outside for its portrait because the natural light in my house is awful.|